Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Boys

Let me start off by saying that if you know me, really know me, then you know that I absolutely love kids born with Cleft Lip & Cleft Palate!  I think these cuties have the most beautiful smiles & I love to see how a surgeon can completely change their life with one surgery!  As most of you know, we have 2 boys from China & both were born with bilateral cleft lip & cleft palate. This is where the "cupid's bow" the area between your nose & mouth does not close.  This usually occurs in the early stages of pregnancy.  I have read that it is usually hereditary, but also can be caused by lack of folic acid during pregnancy.

Our 6yr old, Graysen, came home from China with his lip & palate closed. He had a small hole (fistula) in his palate which can happen during the healing process due to the palate being pulled so tightly.  He has had 5 surgeries since he has been in the U.S.  He attends speech therapy a couple times a week & will have another surgery in a few years followed by years of orthodontics.

Jaxen, our 4yr old, came home from China with his lip partially repaired, but his palate still wide open.  We have done 2 surgeries since he has been home and he also attends speech therapy twice a week.  Their lives were forever changed by being adopted, but a big part of that was the free initial surgeries they received while they were still orphans in China.

 I don't know what non-profit paid for their surgeries, but I do know that both Smile Train & Operation Smile provide this life changing ministry.  I love to see the before & afters.  The children were beautiful before & after, but their lives are changed in a huge way!  The whole world opens up for them.  If you can donate to one of these charities, then please do!  Here are pics of what my boys looked like before & now.  I have only shared these pics with family & a few friends before.  Please donate to a ministry that does Cleft Lip & Cleft Palate surgeries, consider adopting a child with CL/CP & most of all PRAY!

Graysen

Jaxen

Aren't they beautiful?!  I think so!

Blessings,
Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment